Soul Doubt: Nothin' Else I Need to Do but Dance

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Nothin' Else I Need to Do but Dance

Got a phone call the other day. I'd been expecting it for a while, but it was still pure joy and relief which coursed through my veins when I realized what it was about.

"Hello?" says I.

"Kendra?" the female voice on the other end said, a voice which although not instantly familiar, rang a dim bell of recognition in my brain.

"Yeeess?"

"Kendra Martinez? Formerly known as Kendra Goodrick, but not anymore, because the Idaho Department of Correction is releasing her from supervised probation?" there was a singsong, smiling tone to the voice, and I finally recognized it as Tammy Douglas, who up to that point had been my probation officer.
"We got your discharge papers back from the judge, and I'm going to be leaving them at the front desk here for you to pick up, okay?"

I babbled something nonsensical with a relived laugh and got out a promise to be there shortly. I managed to thank her for this past year, for being such a nice lady. She responded in kind, saying something about how she wished all her caseloads were so easy. We laughed about her telling Kevin Kempf that no, he did not need to alert the media, my fifteen minutes of fame were long done, and thankfully so. Then I hung up the phone and let out a whoop, startling my son and probably the neighbors, as loud as it was.

Then I danced manically around the house, singing a song I made up on the spot- I can't quite remember it now, but there were lots of "Oh yeah"s and "Freedom!"s in it. I probably looked a bit like this:




Except, of course, I don't own any moon boots.

10 comments:

  1. Congrats. That must be a huge weight off your shoulders. Hope you go have a nice dinner out or something to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kendra ... call me at 683-9107. My invitation for dinner is still open and active. Prance on up to Bayview for a dinner on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kendra...It has been a blessing watching you, Tony and the baby grow in Spirit and finding real happiness. If you have time in your busy life check out Henri Nouwen's book " The Inner Voice of Love ".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your good news led me here. Congratulations!!

    Psalm 105: 1-6

    Hallelujah! Thank God! Pray to him by name!
    Tell everyone you meet what he has done!
    Sing him songs, belt out hymns,
    translate his wonders into music!
    Honor his holy name with Hallelujahs,
    you who seek God. Live a happy life!
    Keep your eyes open for God, watch for his works;
    be alert for signs of his presence.
    Remember the world of wonders he has made,
    his miracles, and the verdicts he's rendered—
    O seed of Abraham, his servant,
    O child of Jacob, his chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yo! yo! yo! Blessings and your house and SVG said, Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know babe it is really nice not having to see those people!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read what I ramble about- I consider it an honor to get feedback from you guys, so please tell me what you think, feel, if you have a similar story... whatever you'd like! Thanks again and God bless.